Monday, May 07, 2007

The Secret


I am a person who tends to sift through passing fads, and gimmicks but recently have been persuaded to read The Secret.

I can only describe it as a collection of everything I have ever really thought about the Universe but in an extremely organized and well described fashion. Little parts of every book I have ever read on Life, Energy, Physics, Religion and other topics in search for the answer to the question of
"What does it all mean ?" are laced through out this book.

Half the time it felt like I had already read it but had not been able to achieve the clarity in the ideas it was putting across and simply laying out before me. After I was finished the book it was like a "ta da" experience and that I had finally got it!

I have always known it and it was either cloaked in a type of religion (Buddha/Dharma or Christianity) or Physics (quantum theory, energy, attraction)...or ideas found in books like The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale.

Both sides of the equation were both always drilled into my head by my parents but it took this book to be the glue to paste the ideas together. My Mother always said when you are bountiful always give to others in need. I remember when I graduated college she sent me a card and at the bottom she wrote to the effect of....being so proud of me and that I can achieve anything I desire but in doing so do not forget others who are in need.

My Father is a dreamer and would talk of the latest inventions in Popular Science when I was a kid and I would tell him "That's impossible!" he would always reply, "Nothing is impossible it just will take a little longer". He had read The Power of Positive Thinking and was a firm believer. So what if it took me almost 3 decades of living to finally get what he was talking about.

I looked up Latent Learning in my old Psychology text book and found this definition:

"Learning that has occurred but is not currently manifest in behavior."

So like I was saying, I feel like I have always known it and understood it but couldn't apply it. In the book it talks of inter-connectedness and this principle has always fascinated me. Recently when seeking throughout the internet for a quote that was placed on a hand made podium in my Grade 10 English teacher's room, I stumbled upon an interesting factoid. The author of the quote I was looking for had written poetry and novels and in the movie Walk the line (Johnny Cash's biopic) there is a scene where June Carter (Reese Witherspoon) hands Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix) the book The Prophet. Not that there is any crazy parallels but it is amazing that when you are looking for one thing you always seem to run into related branches that you would not have realized if you had not been searching for the other in the first place.

But to sum up what I meant earlier, about knowing something the entire time but not being able to unlock it's potential no matter how many books you read on the subject........until now.

"No man can reveal to you nothing but that which already lies half-asleep in the dawning of your knowledge."
Kahlil Gibran


Click here to go to The Secret web site,
and don't just take my word for it find out for yourself.




2 comments:

Quodlibet said...

I am also reading that book right now. I, too have always believed that sort of thing, although I have to say that the book feels a bit like an infomercial... but regardless, I like reading stuff that I think. So, if you're into this kind of thinking, I HIGHLY recommend another book (which I am also reading right now...) called "Eat, pray, love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is a 'knock you down', life changer of a book. My new favorite.

Flyin Dutchman said...

Hey,

It is a lot of infomercial repetitive catch phrases but for the most part it is true for most things. The health chapter is crap and I don't agree that watching funny movies will cure cancer. Although things like the placebo effect goes to show there is a mind/body connection obviously.

Just the fact that what we "see" as reality is all created in our minds and since our feelings are driven by our thoughts we can just put on a pair of rose coloured lenses and life is grand :)

Sorta like in Shawshank Redemption where he states "You get busy livin, or get busy dying",the same goes for how you live your life. Accept everything that comes to you and live your life on default settings, or actually swim to your ship instead of waiting for it to come in.

I will have to get that book you mentioned and get back to you :)