Friday, October 20, 2006

Early morning into NYC

Location: 28NM WNW of WEARD Intersection 17,000 feet 06:30 am
PS...This shot was the co-pilot's idea and I forgot to give him credit. It turned out really well.


40 minutes late for departure allows us this gorgeous view of the sunrise. If we would have left on time we would have been on the ground in darkness. That reminds of a Chinese Proverb that goes something like this....

A Chinese farmer used horses to till his fields.One day, the horse escaped into the hills and when the farmer's neighbors sympathized with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?" A week later, the horse returned with a herd of horses from the hills and this time the neighbors congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, "Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?"

Then, when the farmer's son was attempting to tame one of the wild horses, he fell off its back and broke his leg. Everyone thought this very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?"

Some weeks later, the army marched into the village and conscripted every able-bodied youth they found there. When they saw the farmer's son with his broken leg, they let him off. Now was that good luck or bad luck?




I love the shimer effect the long exsposure has on the engine cowl so neat. This camera is about the best purchases I have made in years. No longer do I need to try and explain why I love my job, I can just show you.


Just about to enter cloud, would have loved to keep capturing the sunrise but New York Approach would have other plans for us.


I kept the longer exposure as it had more of an effect as we descended to just above the cloud layer. I was sort of wishing we had some more time riding the tops like this. I am sure there will be other days like this.

6 comments:

Lost Av8r said...

Nice work buddy ;)

Flyin Dutchman said...

Thanks eh

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the sunsets, and I love the pics of PA, it's an interesting state b/c it is soooo industrial (Harrisburg) but also so beautiful in places.

Echo

Aviatrix said...

Ooh, thank you. That proverb is just what I need right now. Good Luck? Bad Luck? Who Knows?

I feel like you wrote it for me.

Flyin Dutchman said...

Hey Aviatrix,

There are no such things as consequence :) I am sure your situation will pan out. I have to agree with the proverb. After being laid off not once, twice but thrice I have realized that no matter how hard I work or what opportunities present themselves the "end game" will not be known until its all played out...hence the "end" part ;)

Good luck out there, keep your spirits up.

Flyin Dutchman said...

DKflygirl,

Sorry you saw the pictures that I was working on when I changed my mind. Sorry bout that but you were right, it was Ranking Inlet at its best :)

You fly out of YFB ?